The central city of Wuhan, China, where the coronavirus first appeared last year, revised the death toll from coronavirus from 1,290 to 3,869, up 45%, on Friday.
The city also revised its number of confirmed cases to 50,333, according to a statement from the Wuhan Municipality.
The authorities have given four reasons for the revision of the official figures.
Some patients died at home without seeing a doctor or getting tested for the virus, with hospitals overwhelmed during the peak of the epidemic, the statement said.
And the statement said that the late and incomplete reports, which are explained by the fact that both medical staff and hospitals were overwhelmed by the epidemic, are another reason for the miscalculation.
The third reason, the statement said, was that “some medical institutions were not linked to the epidemic information network and had not communicated their data in time”.
“Fourth, the information recorded on some of the deceased patients was incomplete and there were repetitions and errors in the reports,” the statement added.
The adjustment brings the nationwide death toll to 4,636, out of 82,692 confirmed cases, while healing cases have reached 77,944. Iranian health spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour previously questioned figures and statistics released by the Chinese government regarding victims of the coronavirus, saying that “China has played a trick on the world through the figures and statistics it has released on the deaths and confirmed cases of Coronavirus.”
The coronavirus appeared for the first time in December 2019, in Wuhan, capital of the Chinese province of Hubei, and quickly spread to all parts of the world.
As of Friday morning, the number of people infected with the coronavirus worldwide exceeded 2,184,000, of which more than 146,000 have died, while more than 553,000 have recovered, according to the site “Worldometer”